Friday, June 1, 2012

Amazing Ladybugs

I'm sure you know what this is:



But do you know where it comes from?


I never much thought about the life cycle of a Ladybug. I have always known that it was a "good" bug. Even little kids know that Ladybugs are safe to touch and are nice to have around the garden. But, until recently, I never knew how amazing Ladybugs are.


During my recent struggle with Aphids (see post here), I wanted to be sure that I educated myself about the other bugs in my garden so that I wouldn't kill the ones that were actually helping me keep the Aphids away. I already knew that Ladybugs eat Aphids, but I kept seeing this bug around:




I did a quick Google search and found out that it is referred to as a Ladybird. But you know what? It's a LADYBUG! A Ladybird is really just an early form of a Ladybug! I have always wondered what those alligator looking bugs were. Now I know!


So I kept my eyes open in the garden in case I might find other interesting bugs that I should keep around to help with my Aphid problem. I found this guy, practically suctioned to the leaves of my plants:




Worried that he might be consuming my precious vegetable plants, I did another Internet search. Guess what? It's a LADYBUG!!


The alligator looking baby (Ladybird) turns into this orange blob. I'm guessing it's kind of like a cocoon. It doesn't move at all, is totally stuck to the leaf, and the Ladybug emerges leaving a "skin":




Amazing! And to think, I always just thought Ladybugs were born the way we all know them:



But that's not all!! The other day, while inspecting my roses for Aphids, I saw this little cluster of orange "eggs":




Yup! Ladybug eggs!!


And a few days later, I checked back to see if they were still there and found this:




Baby Ladybirds (young ladybugs) just hatching out of their eggs! I can't believe that I have been able to see (and capture with my camera) every stage of a Ladybug's life in my own garden!


AMAZING!

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh ava loves ladybugs!!!! i cant wait to show her these pictures so when shes out looking for ladybugs she can look for these too !!! rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post!